Ramsey island is an RSPB nature reserve, situated approximately 1km off St. David’s head in Pembrokeshire, Wales.
From 1082, the island formed part of the cantref of Dewisland, under the control of the bishops of St David’s. In the 12th century it was a place of pilgrimage, St. Tyfanog’s Chapel existed up until the 1600s, there may also have been a chapel to St Justinian.
In the 13th century the island was reported to be fertile, producing livestock that included cows, sheep and goats, also wheat, barley and oats. In the 14th century, 100 acres of the island supported horses, cattle and sheep, and rabbits, rushes, heath and birds’ eggs were harvested. A farmhouse, corn mill and lime kiln were recorded in the 16th century, but the farm building was a ruin by the early 19th century. The mill and kiln were in operation until the early 20th century, and in 1905 the island was sold into private hands and ceased being an ecclesiastical holding. A new farmhouse was built early in the 19th century, and was Grade II listed by Cadw in 1992.